Thrust engine 1

Over the past couple of weeks I have been waiting for parts to arrive. Some of the parts that have arrived are the EA81, radiator, pulleys and belts, overflow and the coil.

The EA81 came well packed and arrived safe. On first looks the engine seems as described by the guy I bought it off. It was bought unseen so there was a little risk. I cant see the inside but if he spent the same effort inside as he did on the outside then Im in for a great motor.



As the engine was sitting for several years I immediately put oil into the engine and turned it over several times to coat the inside with oil. Some parts external to the engine had minor surface rust so I sandblasted all affected parts and sprayed with metal paint. I also blasted and sprayed the flywheel.



I didnt like the size of the oil fill pipe so I cut and welded it in 2 places to make it alot smaller.




Next was to work on the distributor. The engine came with one but I was not sure of its condition so I completely stripped it. Everyrhing looked good inside except for 1 spring. It seemed too long. I cut the spring to match the otherside and it seems to be fine. I could not find the exploded diagram for that exact distributor so I had to use the closest one and a bit of common sence to get it back together. Not 100 percent of the way to install it into the engine but im sure I will find out when I try to start it.




The engine also came with a weber carby. So I bolted it on and started the process of connecting vacuum lines and waterlines throughout the engine. No hoses came with the engine but luckily I bought an EA81 earlier on for cheap so I am using spare hoses and parts off that one. I am still trying to figure out the best way to plumb the valve cover vents.

Now since im not using an alternator (the lift engine has one) I had to work out how to drive the waterpump. I didnt want extra pulley for tension either. I measured the distance around both pulley and worked out that I need a v belt between 540mm to 550mm with the idea that when the water pump bolts are tightened the belt would have the correct tension. I un bolted the water pump and put a 545mm vbelt over both pulleys and while pulling on the water pump I put the bolts in place. I finger tightened them first to ensure I was not cross threading as there was pressure on the bolts. Once all bolts were tightened I felt the belt tension and it seems to be perfect. Maybe ever so slightly tight but it will wear in.

Fuel pump and filter installed

Next is to get the engine running and install the pulleys.


Comments