Tail section 2

After the stabilizer and fins were finished next step was to glue them together. I marked out the correct distance from the centre of the stabilizer and drew 2 guide lines 50mm apart which is the thickness of the foam. I aligned the 2 fins with the guide line, ensured that they were both square and then applied 2 layers of 6oz cloth on each side of each fin. Once dry this joint became very strong. I sanded the glass and then it was time to mount to the frame.



I lifted the assembly and pushed it onto the 2 top supports and applied glue into the joints. I used a spirit level app on my phone (that was calibrated to the engine mount lower timber) to ensure the stabilizer was level in all directions. I let it dry over night before I proceeded. Next step was to install the lower supports. All I did was clamp the supports to the side of the fin and rear mounts and draw a line on each end where the fin or rear mount intersected the timber. Once the timber was cut I applied glue and screwed the timber to the rear mounts. Now each joint just needs glass applied for strength. 



Comments