Cockpit part 2

Next step was to work on the lift duct. Instead of making rings like the plan stated I cut and glued multiple vertical pieces of foam between the ply surface of the hull and the top sheeting of the cockpit front. I used expandable foam to secure in place. 


I then used a knife to cut the foam to a rough shape and continued to shape the duct with an electric sander.

Once sanded 1 layer of 6oz cloth was applied. This really increased the strength. At a later stage I will have to shape the foam inside the cockpit near where your feet go for aesthetics.

I installed the motor and fan to work out the fitting of the exhaust? Intake manifold and control cables.



The stock intake manifold is not going to work, it is too large so it will disrupt the airflow also it will allow the engine to ingest salt water within the air. So I opted to use my 3d printer and design an intake manifold. The design took about 5 hours to make and about 12 hours to print all the parts. I also made a bracket for the throttle and choke cable to attach to. The design does have some sharp corners which may reduce power slightly but I will stick with it and see how it performs.




The cockpit it starting to look good now. I have installed most of the gauges. I made and printed some brackets to hold my tablet. The top braces swivel to allow the tablet to be removed as I did not want it there all the time. 

I also spent alot of time 3d designing the lift and thrust throttle control modules. 





I chose to place the throttles symmetrically for asthetics. I did not like the idea of a motorcycle style throttle.

I found a 20l fuel tank from ebay with its width the exact side of the inside of the seat so I chose to mount the tank under the seat. I would have liked 30l but this will do. I also hinged the seat to access the fuel tank and also have an ample amount of storage.


Now I started the wiring. I used 2 bus bars near the battery and 2 near the cockpit. This will keep the wiring neat and the ability to make changes when needed. I started at the rear connecting the motor wiring up to the battery and bus bars including the gauge signal wires. About 10 wires were required to pass from the rear to the cockpit. I have enclosed this in leftover vacuum cleaner hose for protection.
I 3d printed 2 brackets to hold the boom 3 bluetooth player.

The final layout of the gauges. From left to right I have oil pressure, water temp, thrust RPM, tablet for moving map and speed, voltage, lift RPM, fuel gauge and a clock. Each bank of switches has 3 switches, fuel pump, kill Switch and start.

And the wiring worked first go without and smoke or issues!!

I sent the seat off to get upholstered, I think it came up great!!

Comments