Shaping the hull top

First off the plans are not very clear with this step. As is doesn't matter too much the distance of the sloped sides I took a good stab at 9.5 inches from the edge of the foam. I marked a line 9.5 inches in from the edge of the foam up until where the slope stops at 4260mm. I then taped some fishing line at the 4260mm point and pulled it back until it created a tangent with the line I made before. This gave ma a nice even curve for the hull sloping sides.

Now sanding was too much effort so I made a very quick and simple foam cutter using square steel, towel and springs.



Wow did this make easy work. It took about 5 minutes a side to get the sides to the correct profile.

A peice of plywood was used to guide the foam cutter so the wire had 2 edges to run against, the ply and the skirt attach strip.


Here is a link to the foam cutter in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoTCG_gLXg

Once the foam cutter did its job all I needed to do was sand to remove any imperfections then round off the top edge to make sheeting with ply easier.




Comments