Starting things off with the engine

This post covers quite a few items as I only chose to start a blog after I started construction. First item I bought was the engine. It is an EA 81 that had been sitting in the weather but got it cheap at $150 with the intention of a rebuild. The day I picked it up I had the engine completely stripped.


I took the engine to a rebuild shop to get a quote on the engine and check the condition. After a few weeks I received a quote for $2000. There was not a chance I was going to pay that so I went and collected the engine. When I got there the engine shop had broken 2 head studs in the head, stripped a thread and hit the machined surface with a hammer. I was not very impressed. I took the engine to another shop and they said it is not worth fixing. I was not very happy about this but I decided to use the engine as a dummy until a new one is found.

Comments