Tail section 1

The plans asked for 6mm ply for the fins but it seemed too weak so I laminated a further 3mm piece to each fin. This made it very strong. I marked 1194mm from the deck to the thrust duct on each side. This is where the fins will be cut into the foam duct. Once a slot was cut I used expandable foam to secure to the duct.

I welded a 3mm strip underneath the fin on the engine mount. I drilled 2 10mm holes and used short bolts to secure to the frame.


Due to the angle of the thrust duct measuring the correct place for the stabilizer support and the timber that mounts to the duct was difficult. Also the angle that the side fin forms with the duct made the measurements difficult too. In the end I used a spirit level app on my phone to ensure my measurements were correct.

Due to the angle of the side fin the side timber support needed a slot cut out on an angle as can be seen towards the back of the photo. The foam and the fibreglass in the duct now was cut away to tightly fit the stabaliser suppport. I cut multiple pieces of pine to the correct angles to fill in the gap behind the side support timber to allow it to have more surface area to adhere to.

I trial fitted everything and checked that everything was square and level. Once happy I applied glue and held in place with many screws to make sure it didn't move.



Comments