The engine mount

Next to build was the engine mount. I firstly designed it on CAD as the plans were a little hard to build a picture with in my head.

Here I was able to know exact measurements and angles to cut the steel. I chose to make it all in 1.6mm 35mmx35mm steel for ease of construction and cost. It is a complex design to weld true without a jig but I did my best. I cut out all pieces first then started to tack weld checking that it is square and level. Once it was all tacked I proceeded to weld it all together. I put the broken engine back together enough to use as a dummy engine to align all the bearings. I marked the engine mounting holes and drilled slightly oversize to make it easier to align the bolts because I had to use a hand drill. Next I put the engine shaft into the lathe and turned the last inch so it would tightly fit into the hole in the crankshaft where the  flywheel bolts to.  Once the shaft was tapped in I could pack underneath the bearings for correct alignment. Once aligned I drilled and bolted the lower bearings. The prop drive bearings were aligned visually but can be adjusted at a later stage. I am still waiting for UH to make and send the pulleys and belts to me so I can continue. Next on the engine mount is to source rubber for the mounts and weld the washers in place inside the mounts.
  




Comments