Mounting the thrust duct

Now it is time to mount the engine and thrust duct.
Firstly the engine mount blocks were glued to the hull. They are too long but will be cut later.

Next was to mount the engine. I had no one to help me at the time so I chose to move it alone with a series of ratchet straps and rope. Good to say it worked perfectly. It had to move about 6m.






I also used the same method to lift and align the thrust duct.


Next I had to make a flat spot on the thrust duct so it will sit flat onto the hull. I used a belt sander to do this quickly. The measurements to get it right were a bit involved but it all worked perfectly.
Now the plans said to use expanding foam to secure to the deck. Good idea but the plans did not explain how to make it look nice down there so I came up with this 'box's



I screwed these peices in place temporarily. 
Next I cut up and installed the side support fins. A fair bit of measuring to align perfectly but all worth the effort. 


Now the box and fins were glassed. Once dry I drilled 3 12mm holes in the back of the box and emptied the entire contents of a can of expandable foam. The foam expanded everywhere and has made a perfect join. 
The centre form was removed with moderate persuasion. Little bits of glue held it in place but a large hammer helped.




Comments